Viral TikTok Air Fryer Smashed Sweet Potatoes are fork tender in the center with deliciously crispy edges. They’re made with simple ingredients and are the perfect side dish.
Smashed Sweet Potatoes
These Smashed Sweet Potatoes are a viral TikTok sweet potato recipe that is a true winner.
Smashed potatoes are a savory-sweet side dish that have a slightly soft interior and ultra crispy outer edges. They taste like sweet potato fries but are 1000% times better because of that crisp factor.
You’ve probably seen these sweet potatoes cooked several ways – boiled, cooked in round slices, and cubed. For the best flavor, don’t boil the potatoes. The sweet potatoes will lose some of the flavor and nutrients.
I chose to slice my sweet potatoes into rounds because they cook fairly fast and have a nice uniform shape for even cooking. If you want smaller bites of sweet potato, feel free to cut them into cubes.
You’ll just have to adjust the cooking time a little bit because they’ll cook faster.
If you’re getting tired of your standard baked sweet potato to fit a side dish into a low calorie diet, give this smashed sweet potato recipe a try! It’s sure to be a new favorite.
Smashed Sweet Potato Ingredients
Ingredient Substitutions and Variations
Fresh Garlic – you can use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder but instead of mixing it with the sweet potatoes, I would brush it on with a little oil or unsalted butter after smashing for garlic butter butter smashed sweet potatoes. That way the garlic doesn’t burn from cooking so long.
Parmesan Cheese – Sprinkle some fresh parmesan cheese on top in the last couple minutes of baking.
Maple – Brush a small amount of pure maple syrup over the sweet potatoes for a sweet maple twist.
Herbs – Sprinkle some fresh chopped herbs on top just before serving. Some great options are fresh thyme, fresh parsley, or fresh rosemary. The herbs are especially good when paired with garlic.
Spices – Toss the sweet potatoes with your favorite spice mixture before cooking. Dried spice blends add a ton of flavor with very minimal or even zero calories.
How to Make Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Step 1. Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees.
Step 2. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 1-inch thick rounds. Add to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
Step 3. Air fry the sweet potatoes (in batches as necessary) at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Step 4. Remove the soft sweet potatoes and smash them with a heavy, flat-bottomed glass (or a Weck/Mason Jar). You can also use a potato masher but a flat bottomed surface works best.
Step 5. Add the smashed sweet potatoes in an even layer to the air fryer basket and spray with nonstick spray or brush with oil. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Step 6. Air Fry the smashed sweet potatoes in batches at 400 degrees for 7 minutes or until crispy.
What To Serve with
Sweet potatoes pair well with many types of protein.
Storage and Reheating
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Reheat the sweet potatoes in the oven at 375 degrees F or in the air fryer until hot.
If you reheat the sweet potatoes in the oven or air fryer, the potatoes will crisp up better, but not fully. If you reheat them in the microwave, they’ll be soft but still delicious.
Tips for Making Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Use parchment paper under the sweet potatoes when you smash them. It makes it easier to transfer back to the air fryer.
- Don’t over-crowd your air fryer basket. You’ll want to cook these in small batches for a crispier texture. Otherwise, the sweet potatoes will steam more than they crisp.
- Keep the partially cooked sweet potatoes on a half-sheet pan while you cook the smashed potatoes.
- Cut the recipe in half if you’re cooking for a smaller number of people. This recipe can also be doubled.
If you tried and loved this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below!
Viral TikTok Smashed Sweet Potatoes (Air Fryer Recipe)
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 1-inch thick rounds.
- Add the sliced sweet potatoes to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Air fry the sweet potatoes (in batches as necessary) at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the soft sweet potatoes and smash them with a flat-bottomed glass (like a Weck or Mason Jar).
- Add the smashed sweet potatoes in an even layer to the air fryer basket and spray with nonstick spray. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper or seasonings, if desired.
- Air Fry at 400 degrees for 7 minutes or until crispy.
- The listed cook time is per batch. Total cook time will be determined by the size of your air fryer and the number of batches you cook.
- Calories are based on 4 servings but this recipe serves 2-4 based on 1/2 sweet potato/person.
- See the post for additional flavor variations.