This delicious vegan corn chowder recipe is quick and easy to make. It’s a hearty meal made with fresh summer produce for a cold night as we head into fall.Jump to Recipe
Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
Cool nights and evenings have arrived already here in New England but fresh summer produce is still in full-swing. Tomatoes, corn, peaches, are still in abundance at all the farm stands and farmers markets.
Corn Chowder is the perfect summer soup recipe to make during the transition from summer to fall. It’s a healthy and quick meal that’s also great for meal prep.
You can make this corn chowder recipe any time of the year, especially if you use frozen corn. But it’s especially good this time of year during peak corn season.
This easy soup recipe has so much flavor and the whole family will love it!
Corn Chowder Ingredients and Notes
How to Make Corn Chowder
Step 1. Add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a large soup pot or dutch oven and place over medium heat.
Step 2. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Step 3. Add the potatoes, corn and diced jalapeños and cook for another 5 minutes.
Step 4. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
Step 5. Allow to simmer over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Step 6. Serve with fresh cilantro and sliced jalapeños.
What to Serve With Corn Chowder
This easy vegan corn chowder recipe packs plenty of flavor and is great alongside some fresh bread, Sourdough Bread, or your favorite crusty bread.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
Store leftover chowder in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze, cool the chowder to room temperature after cooking. Transfer the chowder to a gallon freezer bag and place on a half sheet pan. Freeze until solid.
Defrost and reheat to eat!
Tips for Making the Best Corn Chowder
If you’re using fresh corn, I highly recommend simmering the corn cobs in the broth that you’ll use for the chowder after the kernels are used. It’s an extra step but it will really give the corn chowder a nice, strong corn flavor.
Use a high-speed blender or immersion blender to blend 1-2 cups of the chowder if you want a thicker chowder. A food processor could also be used.
Top the chowder with some crisp bacon or tempeh bacon to a dd a bit of a smoky flavor.
Soup develops flavor as it sits and is always better when made in advance! If serving for a crowd, I highly recommend making it the day before serving.
Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeño, diced
- 4 medium Yellow or White Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups Corn Kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 can Full-Fat Coconut Milk (13.5 oz, see notes)
- 2 ½ cups Vegetable Broth or Stock
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- Fresh Cilantro, for serving (optional)
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a large soup pot or dutch oven and place over medium heat.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the potatoes, corn and diced jalapeños and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Allow to simmer over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and sliced jalapeños.
- Add the jalapeño seeds to the chowder with the diced jalapeño if you would like more spice. Reduce or omit the jalapeño altogether if you prefer less spice. You can also reduce or increase the amount of crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
- Light Coconut Milk can be subbed for the full-fat coconut milk. You can also use your preferred non-dairy milk of choice. Fat-free half and half can also be used for non-vegan.
- Calories are calculated for 6 servings and are approximate. Please use your own nutrition calculator for the most accurate results.