Learn how to make oven roasted cauliflower rice with fresh or frozen cauliflower. Cauliflower Rice is a delicious low calorie side dish recipe that’s keto and low carb.Jump to Recipe
Roasted Cauliflower Rice
Soggy cauliflower rice is the worst and if you think you don’t like cauliflower rice, that’s probably how you’ve been eating it. Roasting cauliflower rice gives is much more flavor and the texture is firmer.
Roasted cauliflower rice tastes delicious, it has an almost nutty flavor or toasty flavor. I think it tastes similar to brown rice, but better. It’s my favorite way to make it!
Serve it with dishes that you traditionally serve rice with, and you’ll find you don’t even miss real rice!
I almost always use frozen cauliflower rice, found with the vegetables in the freezer section. It keeps a long time in the freezer and all the work is already done for me.
It’s the perfect healthy side dish and great for meal prep! Use this roasted cauliflower rice recipe in place of white rice or brown rice for a rice substitute.
To make cauliflower rice for meal prep, follow the directions to prepare the cauliflower rice in the recipe below. Once cooked, portion the cauliflower into 4 meal prep containers.
Add additional protein and veggies (like blanched green beans!) to your meal prep containers to make a complete meal. Then just heat and eat!
I often add roasted cauliflower rice to my weekly meal plans in place of regular rice. It goes great with so many different types of meals, cuisines, and proteins.
LOVE THESE LOW CALORIE DINNER IDEAS?
Join the Low Calorie Recipes and Meal Prep group on Facebook!
Ingredients for Roasted Cauliflower Rice
Feel free to change up the flavors and add your favorite spices. I like to keep my cauliflower rice on the basic side so that I can easily pair it with different types of meals.
Onion powder, fresh herbs, or parmesan cheese would also be great additions. Just be sure to count the extra calories from the cheese or other mix-ins you add.
Calorie breakdown by ingredient
- Raw Cauliflower – 200
- Pure Olive Oil – 239
- Garlic Salt – 0
- Black Pepper – 0
Total Calories/Serving – 110
*Calories are approximate and vary depending on specific products/brands used and whether measured by volume or by weight/grams. Calories were calculated using LoseIt App.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Roasted Cauliflower Rice
Step 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a rimmed baking sheet pan with non-stick spray (I use Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Spray).
Step 2. Add the cauliflower rice to the sheet pan with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to coat the cauliflower completely.
Step 3. Spread the cauliflower out in an even layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through, until it starts to become golden brown.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice with a Whole Head of Cauliflower
If you can’t find pre-riced cauliflower, you can make your own with a head of cauliflower by following these easy steps.
Step 1. Trim the end off the raw cauliflower and break it into florets.
Step 2. Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is broken down into small pieces about the size of rice or slightly larger.
If you have a grating disc, feel free to cut the cauliflower into large chunks and let the grating disc do all the work!
You could do this with a box grater if you don’t have a food processor. I just don’t recommend it because it’s a lot more work and makes a big mess.
Equipment Needed to Make Cauliflower Rice in the Oven
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Aluminum Foil
- Food Processor – only if you’re making your own cauliflower rice
Tips for Making Cauliflower Rice
- You can double this recipe. Just be sure to use 2 sheet pans and rotate them during baking so that the cauliflower cooks evenly.
- Making cauliflower rice with frozen riced cauliflower will take a few minutes longer to bake than fresh cauliflower.
- Roasted cauliflower rice will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Please leave a comment and star rating letting us know how you liked this recipe!
Easy Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- 24 oz. Riced Cauliflower fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons Pure Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a rimmed baking sheet pan with non-stick spray (I use Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Spray).
- Add the cauliflower rice to the sheet pan with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to coat the cauliflower completely.
- Spread the cauliflower out in an even layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through, until it starts to become golden brown.
- The listed prep time is for pre-riced or frozen cauliflower. Add additional time if you’re making your own cauliflower rice.
- I like to use a lot of pepper but if you prefer, just use 1/4 teaspoon.
- If using frozen cauliflower rice, you can cook it right from frozen – no need to defrost. Just add 2-5 extra minutes to bake.