Easy and Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
This healthy beef and broccoli stir fry recipe is a great weeknight meal or meal prep. It’s an easy family-friendly meal!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that we make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
This healthy beef and broccoli recipe is an easy meal that the whole family will love.
Stir fries are great for busy weeknights when you want something healthy and fresh but also want it to be fast. But pre-cut broccoli to save yourself some prep time!
It’s made with tender strips of beef that are seared until a dark golden brown and tender crisp / crunchy broccoli. This classic Chinese-American dish is a favorite for good reason!
My family loves homemade Chinese food so an easy recipe like this is a regular in our healthy weekly meal plans.
PS don’t trust a recipe that calls for bell peppers! While they’re great in stir-fry recipes, they don’t belong in Beef and Broccoli.
Is beef and broccoli healthy?
Chinese beef and broccoli from a typical American Chinese restaurant isn’t healthy. But you can easily make a healthy version of it when you follow this recipe with simple ingredients.
Best Steak for Stir Fry
Flank Steak is my top choice for stir fry recipes. When sliced thin and against the grain, it’s so tender and almost melts in your mouth.
Other cuts of beef like skirt steak, Ribeye, sirloin steak, or flat iron steak can also be used but just be sure to really cut them into very thin slices.
I would avoid using a tough cut of beef labeled as chuck, London broil, round, shank, brisket, or shoulder.
LOVE THESE LOW CALORIE DINNER IDEAS?
Join the Low Calorie Recipes and Meal Prep group on Facebook!
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients
Feel free to reduce or omit the amount of red pepper flakes.
Soy Sauce Substitution
You can use coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce if you can’t have soy, however it will affect the flavor of the stir fry sauce.
You can also use low sodium soy sauce but I prefer this recipe made with regular soy sauce.
To make paleo beef and broccoli, use coconut aminos, coconut sugar in place of brown sugar (or omit), and tapioca flour or arrowroot flour in place of the corn starch.
How to Make Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Step 1. Place a large skillet (preferably with high sides) over medium heat with 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Add the slices of beef in a single layer and sauté for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the beef strips from the pan and set aside.
Step 2. Add another 1 tbsp of sesame oil to the same skillet and add the broccoli florets and 2 tablespoons water. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to cook/steam for 3-5 minutes.
Step 3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients and whisk well to make a sauce.
Step 4. Add the beef strips back into the skillet with the broccoli along with the sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Step 5. Serve with rice of choice and top with sesame seeds.
Gluten Free Beef and Broccoli
You can make this beef and broccoli gluten free with one simple swap. Just use gluten free soy sauce! My favorite is La Choy but Tamari is a great option too.
What to Serve with Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Rice Noodles
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Jasmine Rice or White Rice
- Brown Rice
Meal Prep Directions
Evenly divide the cooked beef and broccoli into 4 portions and transfer to glass food storage containers (or your favorite meal prep containers). Add a serving of rice, rice noodles, or cauliflower rice to each container and top with any extra stir-fry sauce left in the pan.
Beef broccoli stir fry will stay fresh in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Tips for Making this Beef Broccoli Stir-Fry Recipe
- Use tender beef and be sure to slice it very thin.
- Use Chinese Broccoli in place of regular broccoli if you can find it.
- Use pre-cut broccoli to save time and have dinner prepped quickly!
- I like to use jared grated ginger. I find it in the Asian section at the grocery store. You can also sometimes find grated ginger in a tube in the produce section near the fresh herbs. Pre-minced garlic is also a great time saver!
Be sure to check out the full recipe and ingredient list below
If you tried and loved this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below!
Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 pound Flank Steak or Beef Strips, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 5 cups Fresh Broccoli Florets
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Ginger, grated
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup Water
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place a large skillet (preferably with high sides) over medium heat with 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Add the slices of beef in a single layer and sauté for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the beef strips from the pan and set aside.
- Add another 1 tbsp of sesame oil to the same skillet and add the broccoli florets and 2 tablespoons water. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to cook/steam for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients and whisk well to make a sauce.
- Add the beef strips back into the skillet with the broccoli along with the sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with rice of choice and top with sesame seeds.
This is so delicious looking and the LC immediately caught my attention.
I visited you via Funtastic Friday # 436
If not already part of SSPS, and are interested, find my entries: 94+95, and then navigate toward the bottom of my page for the Senior Salon Pit Stop linkup, we hope to meet you there virtually.
This looks delicious. We love Chinese food, so I shall be making this soon. Thanks for sharing at Love Your Creativity. I am happy to feature your Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry. Happy Mother’s Day.
Thank you Linda!
We adored the healthy beef and broccoli stir fry! It was a deliciously balanced meal that left us feeling nourished and satisfied.
So happy to hear that Sandhya!
I mean…I pretty much know the restaurant version isn’t the best for me, so I’m glad to have this yummy recipe! What a fabulous, homemade dish! Thank you!
You’re welcome! Enjoy!
Always searching for healthy new recipes for the kids! They loved it! Actually, they never eat new recipes in the first shot and this went all in! Thanks!
Flank steak is one of our favorite cuts! Soaks up all that flavor from the sauce and so does the broccoli. Instant hit at my house
I love that you made some healthy swaps here and kept this dish low-cal! Such a great alternative to takeout. My family loved it!
I just wanted to say thank you for such a great recipe. We love stir fries and Asian flavors. This one’s so easy for a weeknight and uses just basic ingredients. Very good!