Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Cake Mix are a simple low calorie breakfast. This pumpkin muffin recipe is full of fall pumpkin spice flavor.Jump to Recipe
Pumpkin Muffins with Cake Mix
I don’t want to call these healthy pumpkin muffins simply because they’re still made with a box of cake mix, after all. However, since they’re made with pumpkin puree and Greek yogurt instead of oil or eggs, they are on the lighter side.
In fact, they can definitely be called low calorie pumpkin muffins at just over 100 calories per muffin. While this easy pumpkin muffin recipe makes 20 small muffins (but bigger than mini), you can make 12 larger muffins and still keep the calorie count to 167 calories per muffin.
Which is great considering pumpkin muffins from the grocery store bakery or you favorite coffee shop are often 400 calories (or more!) for one.
This pumpkin muffin recipe was originally based off of the popular Spice Cake Pumpkin Muffins (aka 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins) that you’ve probably seen on Pinterest. That recipe calls for just 1 box of Spice Cake Mix and 1 can of Pumpkin Puree.
However, I’ve had an extremely hard time getting Spice Cake mix so I adapted the recipe to be used with a box of Yellow Cake Mix, which is much easier to come by.
Since the cake mix lacks that coveted spice flavor, I added a full tablespoon of pumpkin spice for the ultimate pumpkin spice flavor we’re after. Honestly, I think it’s better than the spice cake mix because it has a lot more taste!
If you do end up using the spice cake mix, I recommend adding a teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice so your muffins aren’t bland.
I also added protein powder to the muffin mix to bump up the protein a bit. We often like to eat Banana Protein Muffins so pumpkin protein muffins are a fun fall variation.
Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
You can make these pumpkin muffins vegan by using plant based protein powder and dairy free / vegan yogurt. This recipe was actually tested with Orgain Protein Powder, which is plant based and vegan.
My preferred vegan yogurt for baking is Forager Project Cashewmilk Yogurt. You can use plain or vanilla.
Pumpkin Muffin Ingredients
*I used Betty Crocker Yellow Cake mix in this recipe, not the Butter Yellow mix.
Calorie Breakdown by ingredient
- Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix – 80
- Orgain Vanilla Protein Powder – 8 (7.5)
- Simply Organic Pumpkin Pie Spice – 1 (0.85)
- Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin Purée – 8 (7.7)
- Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt – 4
Total Calories – 101
*Calories are approximate and vary depending on specific products/brands used and whether measured by volume or by weight/grams. Calories were calculated using LoseIt App and are for 1 muffin (recipe makes 20 muffins).
**Links to the exact products used can be found in the Ingredients section.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Pumpkin Muffins with Cake Mix
Step 1 . Preheat oven to 375º Farenheit and spray 20 standard-sized muffin cups with non-stick spray.
Step 2. Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix until completely incorporated.
Step 3. Use a large scoop to transfer the muffin batter to your prepared standard muffin pan.
Step 4. Bake 18-20 minutes or until done.
Step 5. Cool 5 minutes in the pan (tilt the muffins slightly on their sides to release a little steam) then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
Tips for making Pumpkin Cake Mix Muffins
- Don’t prepare the cake mix as indicated on the box of cake mix. You only need the dry mix combined with the ingredients I list in the recipe card.
- Don’t skimp on the the pumpkin pie spice. If you don’t want a strong spice flavor, you can reduce the amount to 1 1/2 teaspoons but I don’t recommend using less.
- Be sure to use plain Pumpkin Purée and not canned pumpkin pie filling.
- The protein powder is optional but highly recommended.
- These muffins can be mixed by hand but a hand mixer is much faster.
- How to Store Pumpkin Muffins: pumpkin muffins stay fresh at room temperature in an air-tight container up to 4 days. They can also be frozen up to 3 months.
Easy Pumpkin Muffins Video
More Easy Low Calorie Breakfast Recipes
Get excited about pumpkin muffins this fall! Once you make them, let me know what you and your family think in a comment below.
Low Calorie Pumpkin Muffins with Cake Mix
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (see notes)
- 2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder (46g)
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice (8g)
- 1 can Pumpkin Purée (15 oz)
- ½ cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt (150g)
- Preheat oven to 375º Farenheit and spray 20 standard-sized muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix until completely incorporated.
- Use a large scoop to transfer the muffin batter to your prepared standard muffin pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until done.
- Cool 5 minutes in the pan (tilt the muffins slightly on their sides to release some steam) then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Enjoy warm or room temperature. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- I used Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix, not Butter Yellow.
- The protein powder I used is Orgain Organic Protein, which is plant-based.
- Plain Greek Yogurt can be used instead of vanilla. For vegan pumpkin muffins, use a plant based yogurt such as Forager Project Cashewmilk Yogurt.